Information Technology Committee Bylaws
I. Purpose of Committee
To recommend educational technologies to support and improve the teaching and learning environment at Western Connecticut
- To ensure the institution remains an accessible, responsive, and creative intellectual resource.
- To assist and support faculty by providing the technology necessary to meet their teaching and research needs.
- To ensure students are empowered to attain the highest standards of academic achievement through exposure to the latest information technologies.
A. The committee will develop, review, and recommend to the appropriate unit or body* regarding:
1) the overall direction of educational technologies;
2) the refresh policy for desktop, classroom, and lab computers and peripherals;
3) the supported software for desktops, classrooms, and labs;
4) student and faculty training and services.
A. The Committee membership shall consist of:
- Chief Information Officer, ex officio;
- Ancell School of Business (ASB) Technology Committee Chairperson†, ex officio;
- School of Arts and Sciences (A&S) Technology Committee Chairperson†, ex officio;
- School of Professional Studies (SPS) Technology Committee Chairperson†, ex officio;
- School of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) Technology Committee Chairperson†, ex officio;
- One (1) representative from Computer Science Department (needed if the A&S Technology Committee Chairperson is not from the Computer Science Department), term determined by department;
- One (1) representative from Management Information Systems Department (needed if the ASB Technology Committee Chairperson is not from Management Information Systems), term determined by department;
- Director of Information Systems/University Computing, ex officio;
- Director of Media Services, ex officio;
- Director of Library Services, ex officio;
- Student Government Association president or designee, one-year term; and
- One (1) technical student representative from Management Information Systems or Computer Science as determined by the SGA, one-year term.
- One (1) representative from the Technology and Instructional Design for Digital Learning (TIDDL) group to be a non-voting member. Choice of representative and term will be determined by TIDDL.
V. Conduct of Business
A. Meetings and Voting
1) The committee will meet monthly and conduct business, following the most recent edition of Robert’s Rules of Order. In
the event that a member cannot attend a scheduled meeting, an alternate should be asked to attend.
WCSU Faculty Handbook 2017-18 55
2) Meeting times will be arranged at the beginning of each semester and will be based on the schedule of the majority of
3) A quorum shall consist of more than 50% of the membership, and must include at least three (3) faculty members.
4) Each member has one (1) vote.
1) The committee will prepare and submit an annual report to the University Senate.
2) The committee will disseminate an annual list of all educational software purchased and deployed on campus, and
include such with the annual report to the Senate.
1) Minutes of each meeting will be distributed to the membership one week prior to the next meeting.
2) Once approved, minutes will be posted publicly on the web.
1) The chairperson will be elected by majority vote at the May meeting for a one year term, and must be a faculty member.
2) Secretary responsibilities will be rotated among the membership.
E. Amending the Bylaws
These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of members present at any regularly scheduled meeting at
which there is a quorum, and with the approval of the University Senate and President of the University.
* The nature of the recommendation will determine the appropriate unit, e.g. the school, technical committees, the CIO, the Senate
and/or university administration.
† Working with the Dean, the faculty of each school will determine the composition of its school technology committee, the function and
responsibilities of the committee, duration of service to the committee for its membership, and the method of election/appointment of
a chairperson as well as the duration of the term.
Senate Approved: R-00-05-03
Administrative Approval: October 23, 2000
Senate Approved Nov. 15, 2006 (R-06-11-07)
Administrative Approval: 4/23/07
Rev. Senate Approved (R-09-10-03)
Administrative Approval 2/23/10
Senate Approval: March 22, 2017
Administrative Approval: April 3, 2017