International Student Application Instructions
Western Connecticut State University welcomes applications from international students who reside outside of the United States. Please read the information below carefully.
How to apply:
Applications are due by MARCH 1 to enter in the Fall Semester and OCTOBER 1 to enter in the Spring Semester. Late applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
To apply, you will need to submit the following documents: (click here for printable PDF checklist)
- Online application
A printable PDF version is also available
- Medical forms
- Personal Essay explaining your reasons for seeking admission OR on a topic of your choice
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from teachers or employers - OPTIONAL
- Official Test Scores. All applicants, including those from English-speaking countries, must show proof of proficiency in English by taking one of the following tests. We recommend that native English speakers take the SAT or ACT and non-native speakers take the TOEFL or IELTS. The accepted tests and the required minimum scores are as follows:
- SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test):
Applicants must score at least a 510 on the Critical Reading (CR) and a 510 on the Writing (W) sections.
- ACT: (American College Test):
Applicants must score a 21 on the English and a 21 on the optional Writing sections.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
There are three different formats. The required score depends on the format you take. Applicants must score a 79 on the Internet Based Test (IBT), a 213 on the Computer Based Test (CBT) or a 550 on the paper based test (PB)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
Applicants must score at least a 6.
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery):
Applicants must score at least a 77.
- High School and University Diplomas and Transcripts with
Foreign Credit Evaluation
Students must submit their high school diploma, high school transcript, and university transcript (if the student has prior college coursework). If you attended high school or college outside of the U.S, your documents MUST be evaluated by one of the following agencies. Students with no prior college coursework may submit a document by document evaluation. Students who have taken university courses must submit a course by course transcript evaluation of all courses taken abroad.
- Affidavit of Support (Download the 2010-2011 form)
Students must show proof of adequate financial support to pay for their tuition and living expenses while in the U.S. Applicants should have the affidavit form signed by a bank representative in their country and must submit ORIGINAL bank statements, dated no more than 6 months before their anticipated start date, showing the required amount of support (Approximately $32,000 as of May 2011).
- $50 Non-Refundable Application Fee
The fee can paid by Check or Money Order in US Dollars and sent to
Office of University Admissions
Western Connecticut State University
181 White Street
Danbury, CT 06810
Applicants may also pay by credit card by submitting a credit card authorization form . DO NOT SEND CASH.
What do do once you’re accepted
If you have recently been accepted, click here for info on obtaining your student visa.
If you still have questions about the admissions process that were not answered on this page, feel free to email one of our Admissions Counselors.
You may speak directly with an Admissions Advisor every Wednesday at 7:00 am (Eastern Standard Time) via SKYPE (Western Conn. State University)
You can also download free brochures or request information.