Admission to the Bachelor of Arts in Musical Theatre
This is a specialized degree offered in collaboration with the Department of Music. Within a liberal arts context, it provides students with knowledge of and training in all aspects of musical theatre in order to compete for employment opportunities in the entertainment industry where musical theatre talent is utilized.
The program includes training in acting, dance, private voice instruction, music theory, keyboard competency, auditioning techniques, voice and diction, theatre history and other courses related to the field.
Admission Auditions for Musical Theater Degree Program
Students wishing to pursue a degree in Musical Theater in the Department of Theater Arts must adhere to the following criteria for admission:
- Fulfill general admission guidelines found in the catalog for the university, school and department.
- Perform and pass an audition, in person, for members of the faculty. The student, through this audition, must exhibit the standards and skill sets required for entry into the Musical Theater program, including:
- ability to accurately perform with accompaniment 16 bars of an up-tempo and 16 bars of a ballad vocal selections,
- ability to perform a 1/2 minute to 1 minute monologue portraying a character close to the age of the individual auditioning,
- ability to learn and perform a short dance phrase that demonstrates movement skills,
- a passing score on a sight-singing/ear-training examination, and
- for placement, completion of a music theory examination.
SPRING 2013 AUDITION SCHEDULE
Auditions will be held on February 16th, 2013 beginning @ 8:30 am until 5 pm. There will be a make-up audition on March 9th for those with special circumstances.
For further information or to schedule an audition, please contact Musical Theatre Program Coordinator, Julio Agustin Matos, Jr., at email@example.com
Acceptance to the Program
Within two to three weeks of your audition date, you will receive notice of whether you have been accepted to the program, put on the waiting list for acceptance or denied acceptance. If you are put on the waiting list or denied acceptance to the program, you will be automatically accepted into the Theatre Arts Department as a performance major, unless you notify us otherwise. Registration into classes will occur once you have paid the tuition deposit for the Fall Semester.
For further information or to schedule an audition, please contact Program Coordinator, Julio Agustin Matos, Jr., at firstname.lastname@example.org