Technology in the Spotlight - Office 365
WestConn is pleased to announce a partnership with Microsoft to offer Office 365, a suite of online services, to all students in Spring 2013. The Office 365 suite includes Exchange hosted e-mail service, SharePoint Online, Lync Online, and Office Web Apps.
What do I get?
- No more cleaning out your inbox! You get a web-based email account with a 25GB mailbox that you can keep for life.
- Communicate from your phone, PC, or Mac, using e-mail, instant messaging, video chat, and online meetings.
- Work together online with Office Web Apps; create, share and update Microsoft Office documents without losing formatting when saving to various places.
- Collaborate in real time; share your desktop, whiteboard, and record a live video call.
- Prepare for the workplace with the Microsoft tools your future employers are using.
- Better coordinate your schedule by sharing calendars with classmates and team members.
Office 365 Features
SharePoint Online gives you a central place to share documents and information with classmates and friends. You can also create websites and take advantage of customization options. It also allows you to invite external users to work on documents and projects.
Lync Online is a next-generation web conferencing service that connects people from anywhere by using presence, instant messaging, and rich online meeting with audio and video. With Lync Online, you can:
- Get real-time presence information including photos, availability status, location, and enhanced instant messaging (IM).
- Make voice calls through your computer to other Lync users.
- Create, moderate, and join pre-planned and on-the-fly audio, video, and web meetings with people inside and outside your organization.
- Enhance online presentation with screen-sharing and virtual whiteboards.
- Let friends participate in your Lync conference calls even if they are not Office 365 users.
Office Web Apps
Office Web Apps allow you to use web browser to create, view, and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files online. Office Web Apps are browser friendly. It supports Explorer, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.