Vision Statement Elements Expressed as Strategic Initiatives
- Outstanding Faculty: Retain and attract outstanding faculty who excel in their subject area and discipline and are committed to excellence in teaching, ensuring student success, and fostering a diverse academic community.
- Location: Create opportunities for students and faculty by capitalizing on Western Connecticut State University’s location in Danbury, Connecticut, a New England city characterized by its economic vibrancy and its diverse citizenry, as well as our proximity to the educational and cultural riches of New York City.
- Diverse University Community: Further develop an environment that values and affirms the unique contributions of Western’s many constituent populations, recognizes the learning opportunities that differences can create, and strengthens connections among our various community members.
- Range of Quality Academic Programs: Offer a range of quality academic programs, including featured signature programs that together educate a diverse student population and meet the needs of the state and region within the context of a global environment.
- Enriching and Supportive Student-focused Environment: Foster a holistic approach to intellectual and social growth and development that prepares students to be productive citizens of the state of Connecticut and the world by developing their knowledge, experience, and critical thinking and by fostering life-long learning characterized by intellectual curiosity, imagination, and creativity.
- Affordability: Deliver outstanding value to students through effective management of the university and the provision of student financial assistance, thereby maintaining the affordability and access of a mid-sized public university while creating the quality experience of the best private institutions.