Keeper Martone leads Western men to 8-5 win over University of New England

Ryan Gillis scores five goals to pace the Colonial offense

Box Score

DANBURY, CT (Mar. 24) — Senior goalkeeper Tyler Martone (Cheshire, CT) recorded 17 saves while allowing only five goals to lead the Western Connecticut State University men’s lacrosse team to an 8-5 non-conference win over the University of New England Saturday afternoon at the Westside Athletic Complex.

Providing the majority of the offensive fire-power for Western was senior Ryan Gillis (Norwich, CT), who single-handedly matched UNE’s goal production by tallying five goals on the day.  Sophomore Ryan Foster (Ledyard, CT) scored twice and senior Jason Szabo (Apharetta, GA) once to round out the Colonial scoring.  Gillis and Foster each handed out two assists.

For the University of New England, Nick Gross (Kennebunk, ME), Tyler Thomas (Mount Pleasant, NY), Matt Anderson (St. Paul, MN), Patrick Colmenero (Charlotte, VT), and Dylan Thomas (Mount Pleasant, NY) each scored single goals.

Gross gave UNE a quick 1-0 lead in the third minute of play, but the combination of Foster and Gillis gave Western a 2-1 lead at the midway point of the first quarter.  Gillis extended the lead to 3-1, but Thomas’ unassisted goal narrowed the margin to 3-2 in favor of Western after one period of play.

New England drew even with just over one minute played in the second period, but Martone kept the visitors off the scoreboard for most of the next three periods, until two meaningless goals in the game’s final minutes.  Gillis scored all three of Western’s second-quarter goals to send the Colonials into intermission with a 6-3 lead.

After a scoreless third quarter, Szabo extended the Western lead to 7-3 early in the fourth.  While Martone, who recorded eight saves in the fourth quarter alone, continued to hold UNE at bay, Foster and Gillis again paired up for Western’s final goal with 3:29 to play.  Tempers flared on both sides following the goal that put Western in the lead 8-3, resulting in a flurry of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.  New England took advantage of the man-up situation, scoring the game’s final two goals to make the final margin 8-5 in favor of Western.

Martone earns the win in goal for the Colonials, while Nate Porter (Cohasset, MA) made 4 saves in a losing effort for UNE, which stands at 4-5 on the season.

Western, now 5-2 on the season, returns to action on Saturday, March 31st, when it travels to play Little East Conference rival UMass Dartmouth.  Game time is slated for 1:00pm.  Western’s women follow at 4:00pm.

Lacrosse Game Summary (Final)

Univ. of New England (4-5) vs. Western Connecticut (5-2)

SCORE BY PERIOD       1  2  3  4  Tot
Univ. of New England  2  1  0  2 -  5
Western Connecticut.  3  3  0  2 -  8

Univ. of New England SCORING: GOALS: Nick Gross 1; Tyler Thomas 1; Matt Anderson 1; Patrick Colmenero 1; Dylan Thomas 1. ASSISTS: Mike Allan 1; Dan O'Gorman 1; Mike Pennacchio 1.

Western Connecticut SCORING: GOALS: Ryan Gillis 5; Ryan Foster 2; Jason Szabo 1. ASSISTS: Ryan Foster 2; Ryan Gillis 2; Tom Dellamarggio 1; Nick Foley 1; Jason Szabo 1.

SHOTS - Univ. of New England 30; Western Connecticut 24.
SHOTS ON GOAL - Univ. of New England 22; Western Connecticut 12.

GOALIES - UNE: Nate Porter 4-5 (60:00 minutes, 12 shots-4 saves, 8 GA;
WCSUML: Tyler Martone 5-2 (60:00, 22-17, 5).