Something for everyone at Ives this summer - 2012
Newtown Savings Bank Fine Arts & Family Series about to get under way
DANBURY, CONN. — Now that it’s officially summer, there is much in store for the entire family at Ives Concert Park, the entertainment venue located on the Westside campus of Western Connecticut State University, 43 Lake Ave. Extension in Danbury.
The following events are part of the Newtown Savings Bank Fine Arts and Family Series at Ives:
• July 14 & 15: “School House Rock Live!” will be staged by the WCSU department of theatre arts at 2 and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 14, and at 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 15. Based on the Emmy Award-winning, 1970s animated series that taught history, grammar, math, science and politics through song, the performance will feature the show’s classic songs such as “Lolly, Lolly, Lolly,” “I’m Just a Bill” and “Conjunction Junction.” Tickets will be $15 for adults; $10 for children 16 and under, plus fees. A family four-pack will be $40 plus fees. For tickets, go to www.wcsu.edu/tickets or call (203) 837-TIXX.
• July 14: “War Stars: An Unauthorized Parody” will be at 9 p.m. on Saturday, July 14. Written, directed and performed by John Stegmaier, this parody will take you to the far ends of another galaxy. No set, no props, just lights and one man telling the story, living the battles, finding the robots and learning the ways of some mysterious force that binds the galaxy together. Admission will be free for guests holding tickets from the July 14, 7:30 p.m. performance of “School House Rock Live!” Tickets for this event will be $10, plus fees and are available at www.wcsu.edu/tickets or by calling (203) 837-TIXX.
• July 20: The Connecticut Ballet Summer Dance Caravan will perform at 7:30 p.m. Gates will open at 6:30 p.m. There will be a meet & greet party and opportunity to dance with members of the ballet troupe from 9 to 10:30 p.m. The event will be free; donations will be welcome at the venue or securely online at www.ivesconcertpark.com.
• July 21 & 22: Dr. Phineas’ Magical Emporium will perform “The Dragon and the Pepper” at 1 and 3 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, July 21 and 22. This puppet show will provide entertainment for children of all ages. Tickets will be $15, plus fees. A family four-pack will be $40 plus fees. For tickets, go to www.wcsu.edu/tickets or call (203) 837-TIXX.
• Aug. 11: The Golden Dragon Acrobats represent a time-honored tradition that began more than 25 centuries ago. World-renowned impresario Danny Chang and choreographer Angela Chang combine award-winning acrobatics, traditional dancing, ancient and contemporary music, and theatrical techniques to present a show of breathtaking skill and spellbinding beauty. Gates will open at 6 p.m. and the show will be at 7:30 p.m. There will be two one-hour sets with an intermission. Tickets range from $10 to $35 plus fees. For tickets, go to http://goldendragonacrobats.eventbrite.com/.
Western Connecticut State University offers outstanding faculty in a range of quality academic programs. Our diverse university community provides students an enriching and supportive environment that takes advantage of the unique cultural offerings of Western Connecticut and New York. Our vision: To be an affordable public university with the characteristics of New England’s best small private universities.