McAfee VirusScan Installation
McAfee Virus Scan prevents viruses from infecting your system and helps keep your personal computer secure. It is important to be able to control the communications into and out of your PC to ensure that your computer is safe. VirusScan destroys threats at all entry points to your PC and consistently monitors and stops virus-like activity from entering your computer, preventing any new threats from spreading.
WARNING: Before attempting to install this software, make sure that you are NOT already running Anti-virus software on your machine. Failure to do so may cause problems with your machine.
CURRENT MCAFEE USERS: If you are currently using the previous version of McAfee VirusScan offered by WestConn (McAfee v8.5i), you must uninstall McAfee VirusScan Enterprise to install this new product.
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i runs on the following Windows platforms (32-bit and 64-bit where applicable):
- Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack (SP) 4
- Windows XP Home with SP1, SP2, or SP 3
- Windows XP Professional with SP 1, SP 2, or SP 3
- Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, with SP3
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Home Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Ultimate
Installation Procedures (Based on a Windows 7 Professional 32-bit configuration)
- Download the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise Edition product, and save it to your hard drive. Note: A free download of the McAfee Antivirus software may be found at www.wcsu.edu/antivirus. Click on ‘PROCEED TO THE ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD’ at the bottom of the page and login with your WestConn username and password (Windows username and password). Complete steps 1-3 of the End User License Agreement.
- Close all other applications.
- If you have existing anti-virus software, you will need to uninstall it first. Go to Start, then Control Panel. Under the Programs heading, select Uninstall a program. Select your old anti-virus program from the list and click Uninstall from the top toolbar. Make sure that you restart your system before proceeding with installation (Repeat process if you need to uninstall McAfee Security Center, then restart).
- You will be downloading two zip files: McAfee-8.7i-Application.zip and McAfee-8.7i-Patch.zip.
- Right click the McAfee-8.7i-Application.zip archive and select “Extract All”. Choose a location to extract all (the default location should be fine). Select Next. Once the process is completed, click Finish. The extracted files will display in a new window.
- Double click the SetupVSE.exe file to launch the file.
- The following pop-up window below will appear:
- Click Next to start the installation wizard.
- For License expiry type, choose 1-Year Subscription.
- From the drop down menu leave the country
selected as United States. Read the license agreement. If you agree with the terms of the license agreement, darken the radio button for “I accept the terms in the license agreement”.
Note: If you decline, you will not be able to install the software and will need to obtain another anti-virus software.
- Select Typical for Setup Type.
VSE installs in: C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\ folder by default. Click Browse to specify another folder. Otherwise, select Next.
- Select Standard Protection.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- Once this process is completed, VirusScan Enterprise has been successfully installed.
Check Update Now. Do NOT check Run On-Demand Scan. Click Finish.
Once you select Finish, McAfee will begin to update the anti-virus engine and virus definitions.
You will need to restart your computer to enable the following integrated McAfee services: Distributed File Scanning, Port Blocking, Infection Trace, and Infection Trace Blocking.
Restart your computer now.
- At the prompt below, select OK.
Once your machine has restarted, you can launch the VirusScan console at any time, right click on the blue and red Vshield icon , and choose Virus Scan Console.
Patch installer instructions
You will need to run the patch located in the second ZIP archive that you downloaded, named McAfee-8.7i-Patch.zip
- Right click the McAfee-8.7i-Patch.zip archive and select “Extract All”. Choose a location to extract all (the default location should be fine). Select Next. Once the process is completed, click Finish. The extracted files will display in a new window.
- Double click the Setup.exe file to launch the file.
- Next at the prompt window shown below.
- Select Finish.
- Restart your computer now.
- Once your machine has restarted, you can launch the VirusScan console at any time, right click on the blue and red Vshield icon , and choose Update Now…
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact the Help Desk at (203) 837-8467.