Human Resources - Internal Position Reclassification Procedure
- Reclassification - a permanent modification in an existing classified (Clerical,
Maintenance, Protective Services, or Administrative & Residual) or unclassified
(Management/Confidential or SUOAF) position.
- Temporary Under-fill – a situation where the University fills an existing vacancy
with a position at a lower level in order to attached a broader candidate pool. In these
situations, it is the University’s intent to upgrade the position to the original
classification as the individual acquires the necessary skills and experience.
- Unclassified Position – For purposes of the reclassification procedures, they include
management/confidential and SUOAF positions.
- Classified Positions - For purposes of the reclassification procedures, they include
Clerical, Protective Services, Maintenance, and Administrative & Residual positions.
The following is the procedure that departments should follow when they would like to
reclassify one of their vacant position or a position in which there is an incumbent. The
University will consider position reclassifications twice per year (January and July). In
order to qualify for the January or July review the Requesting Department Section of the
Internal Position Reclassification Form must be completed in full and submitted to the
Human Resources Department no later than one month prior.
- The initiating department should complete the Requesting Department Section of the
“Position Reclassification Form.” This form can be obtained from the Human
Resources Department or can be downloaded from the Human Resources Department
- The initiating department should submit the completed form to Human Resources
Department. The Human Resources Department will then work with the initiating
parties on obtaining the necessary documentation and will make an initial
determination whether or not the proposed reclassification is warranted based upon
whether the incumbent meets the minimum qualifications for the reclassified position.
- The Human Resources Department will make the Vice President of Finance &
Administration aware of the budgetary impact. A recap sheet will be prepared
showing the additional salary and additional fringe benefits along with the totals for
the remainder of the current fiscal year as well as the annualized totals.
- The Human Resources Department will then present the proposed reclassification to
the President’s Advisory Council for review. The President retains ultimate
authority to proceed or not to proceed with any reclassification proposal.
- If the President approves the proposed reclassification the Human Resources
Department will then complete the final stage. For unclassified positions this would
be obtaining the necessary approval from the Council on Employee Relations (CER).
For classified positions this would be gaining the final approval from the State
Department of Administrative Services (DAS).
- Once all of the above steps are completed the Human Resources Department will
notify all of the parties involved of the final outcome.
Internal Position Reclassification Request Form