Center for the Study of Culture and Values at WCSU
Established in 2003 through a generous gift from the Macricostas Family Foundation, the Center supports the regular exploration of the role of culture and values in all of aspects of society.
The mission of the Center is to:
- Sponsor and promote study of the contributions of world cultures and individual leaders to the development of values and great value-based decisions in history and contemporary affairs.
- Sponsor and promote the examination and analysis of ethical, moral, and legal codes in their effect upon patterns of social, professional, and business practice related to culture and values.
- Bring distinguished visiting teachers and scholars to the university through Macricostas Scholars in the history, distinctiveness, and influence of cultures and their values.
- Engage the university and the Danbury community in dialogue on culture and values by means of an endowed lecture series.
- Engage students in critical, reflective thinking about individual and collective belief systems and provide a forum for student engagement with culture and value-related issues.
- Sponsor and promote additional activities related to the study of culture and values. These may include interdisciplinary academic programs leading to certificates and/or degrees, research on culture and values, publications, an interactive website, an electronic library, exhibitions, workshops, conferences, and symposia with community leaders.
Upcoming Hellenic Studies Events
Since 2003, the Center has sponsored visiting faculty with expertise in Greek history, politics, and philosophy, as well as lectures, film screenings, trips to museums, research presented at international conferences, and artistic events held at WCSU.