Information Technology Committee (ITC) Minutes
November 17, 2011, 12pm-1pm, OM304
Present: Lorraine Capobianco (Chair), Mitch Wagener, Todd McInerney, Rich Montague, Rona Gurkewitz, Terry Wells, Veronica Kenausis, Kit Hinga
Projects In Process - Update
- Haas 413 – Veronica Kenausis said Haas 413 is available December 8, 9, 15 and 16 for UC (University Computing) to upgrade the classroom with new machines with Windows 7.
- WS212 – Lorraine will email the Marketing Department faculty and confirm availability of the classroom for UC to install new laptops during the intersession.
- MIS Information Security Classroom/Lab –UC installed new HP USDTs (Ultra Small Desktops). UC is deploying the servers this week. MIS is teaching digital forensics in the classroom/lab in Spring/2012. Mark Pisano and Todd McInerney will attend the MIS department meeting on December 7 to discuss technical details of the room and provide training on the technology in the room for faculty.
- Pharos printing solution – UC hopes to deploy the Pharos printing solution over the intersession. The four computer centers, the 24-hour labs, and the library printers will be first on the list to get it.
- Lorraine reviewed updates on software requests/deployments that occurred after the 10/13/11 ITC meeting. Please see the attached document. The system office purchases SPSS modules for the system. They are assessing the purchase and they want to know who is using SPSS modules and which ones we are using.
- Status on installs recently done and to be done – Using the ITC machine allocation spreadsheets, Lorraine reviewed and discussed pending machine allocations in each school/area. Questions were answered/issues resolved. ACTION: If any faculty member has questions or issues about their technology, they should please contact their school technology chair. ACTION: Lorraine will email faculty who have requested new computers telling them that they must relinquish their current machines in order to receive their new machine. At the time of this meeting, Ancell, the Library and School of Visual and Performing Arts did not have pending machine installations. Rich Montague asked if UC could do a demo of an iPad for those interested. Lorraine said yes. Lorraine also reviewed the machine installations completed after the 10/13/11 meeting. In addition to installs completed for faculty, UC was successful in completing a significant number (39) upgrades/installs needed in administrative/other areas including Admissions, Student Financial Services, Graduate Admissions, AccessAbility Services, Athletics-Football, Campus and Student Centers, Fiscal Affairs, Human Resources, the WestConnect Office to bring computers up to Windows 7.
Deadlines for Software Requests – Update
- Lorraine will send an email to all faculty regarding the software request deadlines. For this term, the deadline was adjusted to December 15. Next Spring, we will be on the regular cycle. Major upgrades (Microsoft Products) need not be requested in this schedule but if someone would like the next version of SPSS, etc., they should make UC aware that it is available. The same holds true for discipline specific software that is deployed at many locations.
- For Spring 2012 the deadline is December 15, 2011.
- For all future terms the following schedule will be:
- For Summer/2012, the deadline is February 28, 2012.
- For Fall/2012, the deadline is April 30, 2012.
- For Spring/2013, the deadline is September 30, 2012.
Library Projects – Updates and New Initiatives
- Veronica Kenausis provided the following information:
- The library streamlined the process for procuring media by using the existing library system and vendor software services.
- The library is in the process of creating a monthly media newsletter for faculty and staff. It will include a Teaching & Technology Tool Kit, a featured monthly resource, and links to forms for various services. The plan is to launch the newsletter in January.
- Lorraine asked Veronica for an update on the digital institutional repository. It is called WestCollections. Veronica will ask Janet Ohles.
- Lorraine mentioned to Veronica that the Library submitted two emails requesting assistance from UC with two IT projects. Lorraine explained that depending on how large and time consuming the projects are determines if it needs to be submitted to the VP Academic Affairs/Provost. If so, it is then prioritized within the list of academic IT projects. Lorraine meets with each Vice President to prioritize IT projects in their respective area. When Lorraine met with Dr. Gates, these two projects were not discussed. Lorraine will forward the two emails to Veronica.
- WS241 – The student station laptops were upgraded with HP USDTs Rich Montague said that the laptops allowed faculty to have students close the laptop, preventing students from using computers for non-class activities during class. MIS found another type of monitor stand that folds the monitor downward and might work better than the current stands. Loraine asked to have the specifications forwarded to her.
- Blackboard Learn – Faculty participated in a Blackboard Learn 9 pilot in Fall/2011 and the deans have given additional names of faculty to UC that will also participate in the Spring/2012 pilot . CSUS is continuing to work out issues with Blackboard to finalize the contract. Lorraine said that more information will follow in January.
- Lorraine is working with various staff, faculty, and the deans to standardize on a few models of SMART interactive whiteboards that will be installed in January and over the course of the spring semester. Lorraine and the Provost want to try to get at least one SMART interactive whiteboard in every academic building.
ITC Meeting Schedule :
- Next Meeting: 12/8/11. Lorraine will be available from 11:30am to noon and from 1pm-1:30pm for individual questions.