Information Technology Committee (ITC) Minutes
September 8, 2011, 12pm-1pm, OM304
Present: Lorraine Capobianco (Chair), Veronica Kenausis, Mitch Wagener, Rebecca Woodward, Kit Hinga, Todd McInerney, Rich Montague, Rona Gurkewitz
Summer Projects Completed/Updates
- Lorraine reviewed the summer projects completed list on the attached document in detail for the ITC. Revisions were made to the document based on questions/comments raised at the meeting. Individuals who have questions about the projects or would like additional information, please contact Lorraine at 837-78301 or by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Lorraine believes UC has completed all new faculty computer/printer/scanner/office moves/telephone changes requests and she will convey this information to the deans. Please let us know if anything has slipped through the cracks.
- To free time up for UC to complete IT projects, Lorraine will start to move some stable processes in Banner to the functional areas.
Projects To Be Completed
- The following projects still need to be completed: WS 212; Haas 413; MIS Information Security Classroom/Lab; Pharos printing solution for students; Windows 7 & Office 2010 deployment to faculty and staff; Snow Leopard, Office 2011, discontinue entourage and new Outlook client deployment to Mac people, and various software deployments that were requested.
- Lorraine believes that this list is complete to date. ITC members were asked to let Gail Walsh know of other projects need to be listed.
Deadlines for Software Requests
- UC regularly receives requests for a variety of new software from faculty to use in the classroom and for research. With all the IT projects that need to be completed, UC does not have the resources to dedicate adequate time to work on software requests all year long. Recognizing the need to manage requests for software more efficiently and to meet faculty needs, Lorraine suggested using the following time parameters to submit and deploy software requests:
- September 30th for Spring <next year> deployment.
- April 30th for Fall <current year> deployment.
- February 28th for Summer <current year> deployment.
- PLEASE NOTE: For this semester only, the date will be extended to October 31st for Spring <next year> deployment.
- Once approved, UC is optimistic that a 90-day lead-time will improve the process and provide enough time to research, purchase and test software.
- Updated machine allocation spreadsheets were distributed. These spreadsheets reflect fall 2011 installations and current amounts that each school and the library have to spend. Installations prior to fall 2011 have been archived at the following location K/Common Areas/ITC/Archive.
- The strategy has changed for this year. Instead of distributing $ by headcount, we need to upgrade all users to Windows 7/Office 2010. Some PCs are ready to go, some need ram, some need new machines.
- The approximate cost to bring all university PC’s to Windows 7/Office 2010 is $863,469. Of the 113 PC’s with XP that can go to Windows 7, 36 are faculty machines. Of the 166 PC’s with XP that need ram, 57 are faculty machines. Of the 607 PC’s (455 desktops; 152 laptops) not suitable for Windows 7, 208 are faculty machines. Lorraine will let each school/area know the cost to upgrade machines in their respective areas to Windows 7 at the next meeting.
ITC Meeting Schedule : The committee will meet on the second Thursday of the month from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. Fall 2011 meeting dates: 9/8/11, 10/13/11, 11/10/11, and 12/8/11. Lorraine will be available from 11:30am to noon and from 1pm-1:30pm for individual questions.