Information Technology Committee (ITC) Minutes
April 9, 2009 11:00am-12:30pm, OM304
Present: Lorraine Capobianco (chair), Veronica Kenausis, Rich Montague, Mitch Wagener, Terry Wells, Fred Zarnowski, Dan Goble, Kit Hinga, Edmund Breitling, Rebecca Woodward
- Lorraine asked the ITC to spread the word to students that SGA elections will take place online. Voting will take place on April 14th and April 15th from 12 noon to 7:30pm in the Midtown Student Center and the Westside Campus Center. Richard Corzo, Jeff Shpunt and Steve Veillette worked to make this initiative possible. They worked with the chair of the SGA election committees on many of the details. During the elections at the WSCC, Lorraine visited the C4 and noted that there were many students using the computer center.
- There is no equipment money for FY10. We still have equipment money in CSUS 2020 that can be spent in FY09 and FY10. UC has large projects/purchases to do including NetApp; blade servers purchase/project to bring Banner locally; technology for the MIS Information Security classroom/lab. The system office will cover $120K of the cost to bring Banner servers locally. CSU telecommunications Bond Fund for 2020 for FY09 allocated $800K to WCSU for another fiber path to WS campus. The goal is to have the two campuses independent in the sense that if services go down at MT, it does not take everything down at WS. UC has made progress on the upgrades/installation of computers for faculty and staff. Mitch Wagener asked if the remaining balances in the Science Building funds can be used. Lorraine said yes. Lorraine reviewed the available desktop computing funds for the schools and the library, the Spring/Summer 2009 projects to be done, and projects that might be done if money is available. Lorraine shared this information with the Provost and the Deans at their meeting on 4/2/09. Lorraine reminded the school technology chairs and Veronica to submit machine allocations for their areas.
- NCATE accreditation was a huge success. WestConn passed all 6 standards. Congratulations to the university NCATE team lead by Lynne Clark, Kay Campbell and many others. Great job!
Media Services and Library - Current and Summer Projects
- Rebecca Woodward discussed Media Services projects. University Ball video, Biology Department promotional video, Bridges video, WestConn Society video (revisions for KPMG), Graduate Commencement, Undergraduate Commencement, Lectures audio for iTunes University, Leadership Banquet audio, Webpage redesign, Channel 80 conversion & redesign, Channel 80 targeted display testing, Reservation system maintenance and improvements, Upgrading Viewing Room 1 & 2 and WA 102 to Blu-Ray DVD, RFP for cable TV. Lorraine asked that a copy of the draft RFP for cable TV be sent to Richard Parmalee.
- Veronica Kenausis discussed Library projects. Institutional repository/faculty bibliography - at the request of the Provost, the Library will participate in investigating software options for the establishment of a digital repository. UC & other areas will collaborate for this project. Libguides – the library purchased a software solution called “libguides” which will allow the librarians to focus on online subject content delivery for faculty and students. Individual librarians will be developing customized guides for courses and departments. CMS integration – the library would like to work with UC to integrate library resources into specific courses in Blackboard. Music conversion - the library is still interested in converting all our music CDs to streamed versions. Printing management software implementation – the library is very interested in assisting with the installation and implementation of the printing control solution, as well as consolidating all printing services for the Haas library in the MTCC.
Next Meeting: Thursday, May 14, 2009, 11:30am-1:00pm.