WCSU Substance Abuse Program CHOICES


Privacy, CHOICES and You

All services and contacts made with the CHOICES office are strictly confidential and are not part of a students academic or  housing file.

If you are referred by an RA or RD for a housing or alcohol policy violation, all contact is still confidential and protected under the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act.  A waiver of confidentiality and release of information would have to be signed by the student in order for any information to be shared.

Western Connecticut State University
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Student Consent Disclosure Form

It is important for all students at Western to be familiar with the laws and procedures that govern access to student records. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, commonly referred to as FERPA, is a federal law that is designed to protect the privacy of and limit access to the educational records of students. If you are 18, your records in the CHOICES office are strictly your business unless you give a third party the right to this information in writing. (Note: In certain other instances upon court order the University may also be obligated to release information but only after students have been notified).

You may sign the attached Student Consent Disclosure Form if you wish, but this is not required. If we want to share the information with the Counseling Center or a faculty member, CHOICES staff will explain this form in detail to you. When completing the form make sure you write the name of the person(s) you wish to share your records with and check off only the information you are willing to release (enrollment/attendance records, financial aid information, judicial/disciplinary records and grades/academic standing). You may choose to release all or some of this information. It is your decision!

Please note that if you are willing to release either your health or mental health records, this Student Consent Disclosure Form cannot be used. You must visit the University's Health Service and/or Counseling Center to complete their respective "release of information" forms. Health Services is located in Litchfield Hall and the Counseling Center is located in the Student Center (Midtown Campus).

Once you have completed filling out the Student Consent Disclosure form you must bring or send it to the Dean of Students, Old Main Building, Room 306, 181 White Street, Danbury, CT 06810. You can revoke your consent at any time by submitting a written request to the Dean of Students. Please feel free to contact the Dean's office (837-9700) if you wish to discuss these issues in greater detail.


WCSU Home | Student Affairs Home | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | CHOICES Home

©Western Connecticut State University, 181 White Street, Danbury, Connecticut 06810