Calling all January, May and August 2018 graduates!
The WCSU Alumni Association will host a:
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
3 to 7 p.m.
Feldman Arena, O'Neill Center
WCSU Westside campus
After what has seemed like endless treks to the classroom, dining hall, residence hall, library and labs … the end is finally in sight. Once past these last few weeks of final papers and exams, only one thing remains: graduation! Grad Salute is an opportunity for graduating undergraduate and graduate students to finalize their Commencement needs in one stop. Representatives will be on hand to assist students in making final graduation preparations including:
- Cap & Gown Distribution: pick up your pre-ordered academic regalia.
- Purchase your Stole of Gratitude, while supplies last (Alumni Office).
- Leave your permanent mark on campus by purchasing an engraved Alumni & Friends Circle Brick (Alumni Office).
- Order a custom WCSU diploma frame (Church Hill Classics).
- Learn about the WCSU Alumni Association (Alumni Office).
- Pick up your Senior Gift (SGA).
- Graduating Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude or Magna Cum Laude? Pick up your honors cords (Registrar’s Office).
- Obtain job search tips and resources for employment information (Career Success Center).
- Order your official WCSU class ring (Jostens).
- Purchase official alumni gear (Bookstore).
- Have your senior portrait taken (Thornton Studio).
Questions? Contact the Office of Alumni Relations at email@example.com or (203) 837-8298.
Grad Salute FAQs
Q. How long does it take to walk through Grad Salute?
A. It can be a quick stop or you can take your time. It is up to you.
Q. Are credit cards accepted as a form of payment?
A. All vendors accept credit cards as a form of payment.
Q. Do the vendors accept personal checks as a form of
A. Yes they do; however, we have various vendors for each item so you will need to bring more than one check with you.
When are senior portraits? ),
A. Senior Portraits will be taken Wednesday, Feb. 21 from 10:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. at the Westside Campus Center (Ballroom South and Lobby Table
),43 Lake Ave. Extension in Danbury and on Thursday, Feb. 22 at 10:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. at the Midtown Student Center (Theater and Lobby), 181 White St., Danbury. You can also have you Senior Portrait taken at Grad Salute, Wednesday, May 9, from 3 - 7 p.m. No appointment is necessary for a sitting at Grad Salute. You can visit http://www.thorntonstudio.com/ (use password: 01380).
Q. What should I wear for my portrait session?
A. Be clean and presentable. Nice attire is advised. Caps and gowns will be available for graduation portraits.
Q. Where can I purchase my graduation portraits?
A. Graduation portrait proofs will be available a few weeks after the photos are taken.
Q. When can I purchase a Class Ring?
A. A Jostens Rings representative will be on campus on Wednesday, Feb. 21 from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. at the Westside Campus Center Lobby, 43 Lake Avenue Ext., Danbury; Thursday, Feb. 22 from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. at the Midtown Student Center Lobby, 181 White Street, Danbury and at Grad Salute on Wednesday, May 9 from 3 - 7 p.m.
Who can attend Grad Salute?
A. Grad Salute is for WCSU undergraduate and graduate students graduating in January, May and August 2018 who are eligible to walk in May. Contact the Registrar’s Office or Graduate Office for eligibility.
Q. What is the academic regalia order deadline?
A. Academic regalia consists of cap, gown, hood and tassel. Regalia must be ordered by Monday, April 16, in order to pick up your items at the Grad Salute on May 9. Preordering is important so that we can order the correct regalia for you. The cap and gown vendor will be on campus on May 9 to assist students whose pre-ordered regalia does not fit correctly, but stock is limited. There is a $30 or $50 penalty for ordering late.
Q. What are the
requirements for honors cords?
A. Honors Cords provided for the graduation ceremony for the baccalaureate degree recognize high academic achievement at WCSU as demonstrated by the following cumulative grade-point averages:
- Cum laude (honors) 3.50-3.69
- Magna cum laude (high honors) 3.70-3.89
- Summa cum laude (highest honors) 3.90-4.00
January graduates and May candidates for Honors Cords, who will be recognized at the May Commencement ceremonies, are identified at the conclusion of the January Intersession semester preceding graduation. Students who have earned a minimum of 30 credits toward their graduation requirements in residence at WCSU with a cumulative earned GPA of at least 3.50 by the end of intersession are considered to be Graduation Honors candidates eligible for recognition at the May Commencement. Candidacy for May Honors Cords does not guarantee the award of Graduation Honors upon completion of degree requirements. Graduation honors, which appear on the transcript and on an honor's certificate, will be awarded only to students who complete their graduation requirements with a minimum of 30 credits in residence at WCSU and have a cumulative earned grade-point average of at least 3.50 at the conclusion of the May semester. The residency requirement for honors may not be waived. Students with questions regarding academic honors should consult the Academic Dean of their major.
Undergraduate honors cords are provided by the Registrar's Office and are based off of the last overall GPA recorded not including the current semester. They are distributed by the Registrar's Office prior to graduation and will be with your regalia at Grad Salute on Wednesday, May 9. If you have any questions about your eligibility or when/how to obtain honors cords, contact the Registrar's Office directly at (203) 837-9200.
Q. What if I cannot attend Grad Salute?
A. We encourage all graduating students to attend Grad Salute. However, if it is impossible for you to attend, you can send a friend or family member with a note from you to pick up your regalia and you will need to obtain your graduation items on your own from each individual vendor:
- To purchase a stole of gratitude, visit the Alumni Office (Old Main 302).
- For information on purchasing an engraved brick, bench, light post or tree, click here.
- To order a diploma frame, click here.
- To activate your alumni membership or to make a gift to the WCSU Senior Class Gift, visit the Alumni Office (Old Main 302).
- To pick up your honors cord, visit the Registrar’s Office (Old Main 102).
- For student loan exit counseling, visit the Student Financial Services Office (Old Main 107).
- For information on WCSU graduate programs, click here or visit the Graduate Studies Office (Old Main 101).
- To purchase your alumni gear, click here or visit the WCSU Bookstore (Midtown Student Center).
- The last date for seniors to have their portrait taken on campus is at the Grad Salute. To arrange portraits with the studio on your own, visit http://www.thorntonstudio.com/ (use password: 01380).