Calling all January, May and August 2013 graduates!
The WCSU Alumni Association will host a:
Thursday, May 2, 2013
3 to 7 p.m.
Warner Hall, WCSU Midtown campus
After what has seemed like endless treks to the classroom, dining hall, residence hall, library and labs … the end is finally in sight. Once past these last few weeks of final papers and exams, only one thing remains: graduation! Grad Salute is an opportunity for graduating undergraduate and graduate students to finalize their Commencement needs in one stop. Representatives will be on hand to assist students in making final graduation preparations including:
- Cap & Gown Distribution: pick up your pre-ordered academic regalia.
- Purchase your Stole of Gratitude, while supplies last (Alumni Office).
- Leave your permanent mark on campus by purchasing an engraved Alumni & Friends Circle Brick (Alumni Office).
- Order a custom WCSU diploma frame (Alumni Office).
- Learn about the WCSU Alumni Association (Alumni Office).
- Support the WCSU Senior Class Gift Fund and sign the Senior Class banner (Development Office).
- Pick up your Commencement student parking pass (University Events Office).
- Graduating Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude or Magna Cum Laude? Pick up your honors cords (Registrar’s Office).
- Seniors with student loans will receive information on exit counseling (Student Financial Services).
- Obtain job search tips and resources for employment information (Career Development Center).
- Review the many opportunities for graduate degree studies available at WCSU (Graduate Office).
- Order your official WCSU class ring (Balfour).
- Receive 20% off your official alumni gear (Bookstore).
- Have your senior portrait taken (Thornton Studio).
- Be part of a new tradition at WCSU. Graduating students can participate in the first-ever “Grad Salute” video (Media Services).
Complimentary food will be available for all graduating students. Plus, enter the free Grad Salute raffle for awesome prizes including custom WCSU diploma frames and desk accessories, gift certificates and WCSU apparel.
Questions? Please contact Alumni Director Tammy Hammershoy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Alumni Office at (203) 837-8298.
Grad Salute FAQs
Q. How long does it take to walk through Grad Salute?
A. It can be a quick stop or you can take your time. It is up to you.
Q. Are credit cards accepted as a form of payment?
A. All vendors accept credit cards as a form of payment.
Q. Do the vendors accept personal checks as a form of
A. Yes they do; however, we have various vendors for each item so you will need to bring more than one check with you.
When are senior portraits?
A. Senior Portraits will be taken February 25 – 27. Details can be found in the email sent to all eligible graduating students or visit http://www.thorntonstudio.com/ (use password: WCSU).
Q. What should I wear for my portrait session?
A. Be clean and presentable. Nice attire is advised. Caps and gowns will be available for graduation portraits.
Q. Where can I purchase my graduation portraits?
A. Graduation portrait proofs will be available a few weeks after the photos are taken.
Q. Who can attend Grad Salute?
A. Grad Salute is for WCSU undergraduate and graduate students graduating in January, May and August 2013 who are eligible to walk in May. Contact the Registrar’s Office or Graduate Office for eligibility.
Q. What is the academic regalia order deadline?
A. Academic regalia consists of cap, gown, hood and tassel. Regalia must be ordered by April 12 in order to pick up your items at the Grad Salute on May 2. Any orders taken between April 13 to May 2 may be picked up on the alternate cap and gown distribution date taking place on May 10 from 3 to 6 p.m. in the Westside Campus Center Loft. Preordering is important so that we can order the correct regalia for you. The cap and gown vendor will be on campus on May 10 to assist students who have not pre-ordered regalia, but stock is limited.
Q. What are the
requirements for honors cords?
A. Graduation honors for the baccalaureate degree recognize high academic achievement at at WCSU as demonstrated by the following cumulative grade-point averages:
- Cum laude (honors) 3.50–3.69
- Magna cum laude (high honors) 3.70–3.89
- Summa cum laude (highest honors) 3.90–4.00
January graduates and May candidates for Graduation Honors, who will be recognized at the May Commencement ceremonies, are identified at the conclusion of the January Intersession semester preceding graduation. Students who have earned a minimum of 45 credits toward their graduation requirements in residence at WCSU with a cumulative earned GPA of at least 3.50 are considered to be Graduation Honors candidates eligible for recognition at the May Commencement. Candidacy for May Graduation Honors does not guarantee the award of Graduation Honors upon completion of degree requirements. Graduation honors, which appear on the transcript and on an honor’s certificate, will be awarded only to students who complete their graduation requirements with a minimum of 45 credits in residence at WCSU and have a cumulative earned grade-point average of at least 3.50. The residency requirement for honors may not be waived. Students with questions regarding academic honors should consult the Academic Dean of their major.
Undergraduate honors cords are provided by the Registrar's Office and are based off of the last overall GPA recorded not including the current semester. They are distributed by the Registrar's Office prior to graduation. If you have any questions about your eligibility or when/how to obtain honors cords, contact the Registrar's Office directly at (203) 837-9200.
Q. What if I cannot attend Grad Salute?
A. We encourage all graduating students to attend Grad Salute. However, if it is impossible for you to attend, you will need to obtain your graduation items on your own from each individual vendor:
- Your academic regalia can be picked up on the alternate cap and gown distribution date taking place on May 10 from 3 to 6 p.m. in the Westside Campus Center Loft.
- To purchase a stole, visit the Alumni Office (Old Main 302).
- For information on purchasing an engraved brick, click here.
- To order a diploma frame, click here.
- To activate your alumni membership or to make a gift to the WCSU Senior Class Gift, visit the Alumni Office (Old Main 302).
- To pick up your Commencement parking passes, visit the University events Office (Old Main 302).
- To pick up your honors cord you will need to visit the Registrar’s Office (Old Main 102).
- For student loan exit counseling, visit the Student Financial Services Office (Old Main 107).
- For information on WCSU graduate programs, click here or visit the Graduate Studies Office (Old Main 206).
- To purchase a WCSU class ring, click here.
- To purchase your alumni gear, click here or visit the WCSU Bookstore (Midtown Student Center).
- The last date for seniors to have their portrait taken on campus is at the Grad Salute. To arrange portraits with the studio on your own, visit http://www.thorntonstudio.com/ (use password: WCSU).
- “Grad Salute” video greeting will only be conducted at the Grad Salute.