Biological & Environmental Sciences
The programs in the Department of Biological and Environmental Science provide students with the background required to succeed in a wide variety of fields such as cell and molecular biology, medicine, environmental science and education. A core of science courses provides a solid foundation in biology while electives allow students to pursue their special interests. All biology majors conduct independent research under the supervision of a faculty mentor.
The programs in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences provide students from diversified backgrounds with the conceptual and technical knowledge for careers in biology, environmental science, teaching, and prepare them for graduate programs and careers in the health sciences. Electives at Western allow students to pursue special interests, and all biology majors conduct independent research under the supervision of a faculty mentor. The Department also provides service courses to support the education of students in other majors.
To accomplish this mission, the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences:
- Prepares students for successful careers related to biology by training them for advanced responsibilities in research, education, industry and other biology-related fields
- Provides up-to-date courses supporting student needs
- Integrates undergraduate research with faculty research projects
- Provides a variety of general education and service courses to the student body
- Promotes faculty research and professional contributions that advance the biological and environmental sciences, teaching pedagogy and support regional needs, including science education
At the completion of their degrees in Biological & Environmental Sciences:
- Students will be able to understand and apply the scientific method to answer questions about natural phenomena.
- Students will be able to communicate their understanding of basic scientific concepts in presentation and writing.
- Students will be well-prepared for careers in biology related fields as well as post-graduate opportunities.
Minor Program Sheets:
To learn more about the Communication & Media Arts degree, please follow the links below
- Catalog entry
- Biology department website
- Macricostas School of Arts & Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts in Biology
- Bachelor of Arts in Biology (Ecological Option)
- Bachelor of Arts in Biology (BioScience Option)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education – Biology
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education – Biology
- Minor in Biology