The mission of The School of Visual and Performing Arts at Western Connecticut State University is to advance knowledge, to promote intellectual inquiry, and to cultivate creativity among faculty and students through teaching, research, scholarship, artistry, and public performance.
The School provides its students with a superior arts education, fosters excellence in creative research and discovery, nurtures ethical and moral decision-making and leadership, and contributes to the cultural enrichment of the state and region.
Moreover, the arts in the general education of all students at WCSU provide special modes of thinking unavailable in other disciplines. By transcending previous historical, mathematical, and verbal constructs and conventions, the arts involve unique ways of knowing, understanding, expressing, and creating, each of which contributes to human achievement and a deeper shared experience.
- to offer the highest quality educational, pre-professional, and professional programming within a liberal arts environment;
- to utilize fully our regional advantage in the arts and arts-related professions, including access to outstanding faculty, guest artists, and resources of New York City;
- to recruit the highest quality students in the arts disciplines;
- to fulfill the role of designated center for the arts of the CSU System;
- to attract major funding for scholarships and endowed faculty Chairs;
- to enhance the cultural life and image of the university; and
- to provide significant experiences in the arts for all students in academic programs across the university.